Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tipping at a bar


Tipping, what is acceptable?

Good Service, Bad Service, Okay Service what do you tip based on what they are doing for you. 

We have put a man on the moon, we have cured diseases that have killed thousands and yet it is still not clear on what the “proper” tip should be. 

Do you tip the same percentage no matter who is the service person?  Meaning food service waitress in high end restaurants, your local restaurants, bartenders, bar wait staff, etc.

No matter where you are ask yourself this, what type of a client am I?  Do you order like Meg Ryan as “Sally” in the movie when Harry met Sally:  everything on the side because they will never get it right?  

Let’s take a look at bar staff first:

Bartender
            $1/drink (or 15% of total bill). Pre-tip for better service is a lesson learned the first time you enter into an establishment.  I like to find out if the bartender on duty is a regular or filling in because that changes how I approach anything.  If they are a regular and you plan on returning to the bar tip well the first time and tip again when you leave.  When I go with friends I try to buy the first drink.  If the bill is $6.00 (or what they like to do is $6.25) I will give them a $10.00 and tell them to keep the change.  Trust me they will remember you.  If they treat me well I will give them another 20% when I leave.  I know this sound high and some of you are saying that is way too much but I do this because I know I am going back and the next time I may not have the ability to do as much. 

Restaurants
              Are we dining at a fine restaurant or a middle of the road?  Is it a chain or locally                                                  owned?  I will   tip more at a locally owned restaurant than a chain because I support in the local small business owner.  If I am at a local restaurant, middle of the road and the service is good I will tip a minimum of 15%.  If the service is excellent I will tip a minimum of 20%.  In both scenarios I will round up the tip also, for example the bill comes to $42.78.  20% is $8.56 so I will leave $9.00 as a tip.  The local fine dining will start out at 20% is the service is good and 25% if the service is excellent.  Chain restaurants I will start out at 10% if it’s middle of the road and 15% if it is fine dining.

If you are Sally, from When Harry met Sally you need to add a minimum of 5% no matter where you go.

Now let’s talk about bad service:  You have to ask if it is the bartender or the owner that didn’t order correctly or if it’s the wait staff or the cook.  If your server (bartender or wait staff) is pleasant and the problem is not their fault I do not take it out on them.  The only time I will refuse to tip is attitude and if it is so bad that I would not leave a tip I normally request another if it is possible.

If you can’t afford to take care of those who serve you have one less drink, skip dessert or stay home.

Many years ago, a 10-year-old boy walked up to the counter of a soda shop and climbed onto a stool. He caught the eye of the waitress and asked, “How much is an ice cream sundae?”
“Fifty cents,” the waitress replied. The boy reached into his pockets, pulled out a handful of change, and began counting. The waitress frowned impatiently. After all, she had other customers to wait on.
The boy squinted up at the waitress. “How much is a dish of plain ice cream?” he asked. The waitress sighed and rolled her eyes. “Thirty-five cents,” she said with a note of irritation.
Again, the boy counted his coins. At last, he said, “I’ll have the plain ice cream, please.” He put a quarter and two nickels on the counter. The waitress took the coins, brought the ice cream, and walked away.
About ten minutes later, she returned and found the ice cream dish empty. The boy was gone. She picked up the empty dish—then swallowed hard.
There on the counter, next to the wet spot where the dish had been, were two nickels and five pennies. The boy had had enough for a sundae, but he had ordered plain ice cream so he could leave her a tip.

When you go to Jimmy's Tavern plan on extra money for tipping because the customer service, the service and the staff are worth it!!

Friday June 15th LIVE MUSIC, GREAT SERVICE and a wonderful atmosphere for those who want to have a great time!

Like Jimmy's Tavern on Facebook








No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?